Fires ruled accidental

Published 10:56 pm Thursday, January 5, 2012

Firefighters battle a blaze in a Spruce Street home Wednesday that was ruled accidental. Five occupants of the home were assisted by the Suffolk chapter of the American Red Cross.

A fire in the kitchen of a Spruce Street home sparked a blaze that was ruled accidental.

Firefighters responded to the call in the 600 block of Spruce Street at 5:49 p.m. Wednesday evening. Two adults and three children were able to escape because of a working smoke detector.

Rob Shapiro, public relations director for the American Red Cross Coastal Virginia Region, said the organization assisted the five residents with lodging and clothing and food allowances.

Email newsletter signup

In addition, the fire marshal’s office also announced that a Tuesday morning fire has been ruled accidental.

The Gates Road home, as well as a pickup truck parked nearby, both were destroyed when a wood heater in the home exploded about 8 a.m. Tuesday.

Both occupants of the home evacuated safely and also were assisted by the Red Cross.