Dryer fire sparks evacuation at nursing home

Published 9:02 pm Wednesday, June 13, 2012

Elderly residents and staff at Bon Secours-Maryview Nursing Center in North Suffolk were evacuated when an industrial dryer caught fire Wednesday, according to a city of Suffolk press release.

Four engines, a ladder truck, a rehab bus, two medic units, Engine 9 from the Chuckatuck Volunteer Fire Department and a mass casualty bus all responded, arriving on scene about 11:09 a.m. after Suffolk Fire & Rescue received the call about four minutes earlier, the release stated.

“The fire was contained to the area of origin in an industrial dryer and was quickly brought under control by firefighters,” the release continued.

Newsletter

Email newsletter signup

“Heavy smoke was experienced throughout the maintenance wing of the facility, resulting in the evacuation of 120 patients and 135 staff members.”

The facility was ventilated and all evacuees were allowed back in after about 22 minutes, the release continued.

Nursing center spokeswoman Lynne Zultanky said there were no injuries. “Everyone is accounted for and there were no injuries of staff, residents or firefighters,” she reported.

The fire is under investigation by the Suffolk Fire Marshall’s Office.