Father and son acquitted in malicious wounding case

Published 8:51 pm Thursday, August 16, 2012

An auto body shop owner known for charity giveaways and his son were acquitted on charges of malicious wounding on Thursday.

Marcus “Boogie” Williams and his son, Marcus “Pookie” Green, were found not guilty by Judge William R. Savage. They had been accused in an assault at Boogie’s Family and Friends Outreach Organization and Lodge on White Marsh Road on Thanksgiving night of last year.

The case prompted a December City Council hearing that resulted in the revocation of the conditional use permit for the gathering facility. Police Chief Thomas Bennett accused the business of violating its permit, because it is only supposed to be open until 11 p.m. on Thursday nights. Witnesses on Thursday said the attack happened between 11 and midnight.

Email newsletter signup

Judge Savage ruled Thursday the commonwealth had not met the burden of proof for the charges. After hearing the verdict, Williams wept at the defense table as Green pumped his fist in the air.

Ricky Brown accused Williams and Green of participating in an assault that left him with broken facial bones, eye injuries and blood coming from his nose and ears. He had to have dental work and see a plastic surgeon to repair the injuries after staying in the hospital for two nights, he said.

Brown testified he arrived at the social club about 11:30 p.m. and saw his brother in a verbal altercation with Williams. He accused Williams of grabbing his brother and said he stepped in to try to remedy the situation.

Witnesses said the two men were trying to get in without paying the $10 cover charge required of non-members.

Brown testified Williams grabbed him and struck him in the face twice, then held his arms behind his back so Green could punch him two to three times.

Brown said he managed to get outside but was confronted by a group of at least 15, who repeatedly hit and kicked him until others broke in to stop the fight.

The five witnesses for the defense, all family and friends of the defendants, said they never saw the defendants punch the victim. In fact, they agreed, neither Williams nor Green ever went outside, and Williams even tried to defuse the situation after the victim became belligerent.

Two witnesses said the victim pushed Williams first, and several agreed that Williams tried to hold others back from attacking the victim and discouraged others from going outside after the fight moved into the parking lot.

“It’s a shame that so many of the social type gatherings we have here in Suffolk end up in some kind of fight,” Savage said just before announcing his verdicts.

The establishment had also served alcohol without licensed security guards present, violating another condition of the permit, Chief Bennett said at the December City Council hearing. Witnesses on Thursday said there was alcohol and men acting as security guards, but it was unclear if the men were licensed as security guards.

Williams said after the court hearing he has given up the keys to the building and likely will not try to reopen the business. The case and his business being closed cost him a considerable amount of money, he added.

In past years, he has used the building as a base for his ham and toy giveaways at Christmas time.