Exhibition winners announced
Published 8:10 pm Saturday, November 9, 2013
The Suffolk Art League’s annual Juried Exhibition is currently on display at the Suffolk Art Gallery, 118 Bosley Ave.
From the 197 artworks entered, Juror Tanja Softic’, professor of art at the University of Richmond, selected 83 artworks by 69 artists for the exhibition.
In addition to selecting the works to be included in the exhibition, Softic’ also selected the winners of 17 awards. First place, which includes a one-person show in 2014, went to W. Martin Jones for his acrylic “Guineas.” Second place was awarded to Timothy Giles for his watercolor “Resurrection,” and Linda Gerek garnered third-place honors for her oil “Five Koi”.
Email newsletter signup
“The three works I selected for first, second and third place stood out to me for their skill, but more importantly, for the sense of vitality and freshness of execution.” Softic’ said in her juror’s statement. “They bear hallmark signs of great artworks: there is control but there is also courage to fly by the seat of one’s pants a bit, to let the artwork itself take a steering wheel of the process, to listen for rather than dictate the content. That is the spice, the spark of life that makes work truly sing.”
Memorial and business sponsored awards were given to:
- Jane Butler Memorial Award: John Jory, “Hangin’ Around,” pastel
- Melissa Darden Odom Memorial Award: Ray and Martha Rountree, “ Summer Boogie,” contemporary woodturning
- Mary B. Kinzinger Award: Penny Duke, “Honey with Melon,” acrylic
- Award in Honor of Dana Adams: Michael Hewitt, “Sunrise,” acrylic
- Judy Oswald Memorial Award: Cindy Stephenson-Gibbs, “Goniochromism,” watercolor
- BASF, The Chemical Co. Award: Jenny Windsor, “Tuesday Night #3,” charcoal
- Betty Glasscock Memorial Award: Joy Branch, “The Kitchen Hearth,” oil
- Chip Picot Memorial Award: Crystal Johnson, “What’s the Point,” ceramic and mixed media
- Award for 3-D: John Tobin, “Bird Brain,” ceramic and mixed media
- Shooting Star Gallery Award: Pat Eelman, “Iris,” photography
- Suffolk News-Herald Award: Gary Hess, “Bridge to the Horizon,” photography
- Gail Saunders Memorial Award: Mark Miltz, “Over Her Shoulder,” conte’
- Poppa Jo and Momma Jo Memorial Award: Erlene Hendrix, “Earth, Wind, Water, Fire,” photographic composite
- Embroidery Etc. Award: Cynthia Quesenberry, “Cream Rust,” ceramic
The exhibition is on display through Dec. 20. Suffolk Art Gallery hours are Tuesday through Saturday from 10 a.m. to 5 p.m. and Sunday from 1 to 5 p.m. For more information, call the art league office at 925-0448 or the Suffolk Art Gallery at 514-7284.