Downtown businesses to hold open house
Published 1:36 pm Wednesday, November 27, 2013
As you’re planning your Black Friday shopping excursions, be sure to put downtown Suffolk on the list.
None of the retailers, restaurants, galleries and museums will be open at 3 a.m. to satisfy your late-night shopping compulsion, but they will be offering special deals, refreshments and more at a more decent hour, all weekend long.
“We’re looking forward to it,” said Billy James of All About Virginia & More at 120 N. Main St.
Email newsletter signup
His shop is offering food tastings, a paracord knot-tying demonstration, 20 percent off with a coupon, and more.
Next door, Brenda Wright of Shooting Star Gallery is excited about the new product lines she has available, including doodle pads and doodle art, artisan craft books, local art, wrapping paper and more. The gallery will be open from 2 to 5 p.m. with light refreshments.
Other participants and their special offers for this weekend include:
- Amici’s Pizza Café, 157 E. Washington St. — 15 percent off total purchase
- Array 700 Hair/Nail Salon and Gift Shop, 700 W. Washington St. — drawings throughout all three days and complimentary refreshments
- As Time Goes By Antiques, 150 W. Washington St. — 10 percent off select purchases and complimentary refreshments
- The Baron’s Pub, 185 N. Main St. — 15 percent off total purchase
- C-Fit Studio, 143 N. Main St. — demonstrations available, and two weeks of unlimited classes for $21
- Embroidery, Etc., 136 S. Main St. — 20 percent off gift shop items and light refreshments
- Hilton Garden Inn Suffolk Riverfront, 100 E. Constance Road — Breakfast with Santa from 8:30 to 10:30 a.m.; $4 for children and $6 for adults
- Jester’s Gallery Shop, 110 W. Finney Ave. — buy one item at regular price and get the second item of equal or lesser value at 20 percent off
- Patsy’s Hair Boutique, 179 N. Main St. — free hair and makeup consultations, 10 percent discount on appointments booked on Saturday and complimentary refreshments
- The Plaid Turnip, 115 N. Main St. — cupcake decorating workshop from 1 to 4 p.m. Saturday; $1 per cupcake
- Planters Peanut Center, 308 W. Washington St. — dozens of Planters products offered
- Riddick’s Folly House Museum and Gift Shop, 510 N. Main St. — 40 to 90 percent off select items Friday and Saturday
- The Shoe Fits, 173 N. Main St. — pricing specials on Friday and Saturday
- Simply Susan’s Bakery, 118 N. Main St. — Luke Willette, acoustic guitar player, will perform from 2 to 5 p.m.; also collecting toys and canned goods for community
- Suffolk Center for Cultural Arts, 110 W. Finney Ave. — “Artfully Done: Gifts for All Seasons,” an annual exhibit, will be on display
- Suffolk Seaboard Station Railroad Museum and Gift Shop, 326 N. Main St. — 10 percent off total sales; book signing by local author Kermit Hobbs from noon to 1 p.m. and 1:30 to 3:30 p.m.
- Suffolk Visitor Center and Gift Shop, 524 N. Main St. — 15 percent off all gift shop purchases and complimentary refreshments