Pets die in house fire

Published 10:34 pm Monday, June 9, 2014

Several pets died in a residential fire in the 200 block of Collins Road on Sunday.

Emergency units were on the scene of the Whaleyville-area fire by 6:10 p.m., about 7 minutes after receiving the call. They found the front and right sides of the single-story modular home fully involved, with flames coming through the roof and windows.

Four cats, a dog and three snakes died in a fire at a home in the 200 block of Collins Road in the Whaleyville area on Sunday, according to Suffolk spokeswoman Diana Klink. (Submitted photo)

Four cats, a dog and three snakes died in a fire at a home in the 200 block of Collins Road in the Whaleyville area on Sunday, according to Suffolk spokeswoman Diana Klink. (Submitted photo)

Four cats, a dog and three snakes died in the fire, and the five adult occupants of the home were displaced. The adults are being assisted by family and friends, according to Suffolk spokeswoman Diana Klink.

Newsletter

Email newsletter signup

The fire was brought under control by 6:45 p.m., Klink stated in a press release. Investigators have determined that it started in the kitchen and was accidental.

The Whaleyville Volunteer Fire Department responded to the fire, along with Engines 2, 7 and 8, Tankers 1 and 8 and Rescue 1, Medic 8, EMS 1 and Battalion 1.

There were no injuries.