Man taken to hospital after fire

Published 11:56 pm Wednesday, December 17, 2014

Suffolk firefighters responded to the Suffolk Towers Apartments on Wednesday evening for the second time in as many months, sending a man to the hospital with burns to his hands.

The fire at the apartment building, in the 100 block of North Main Street, was reported at 9:12 p.m. The first units arrived at 9:15 p.m.

The first responders found a sixth-floor apartment full of smoke. The occupant stated he fell asleep while cooking. He was able to put the fire out but burned his hands, according to a city press release.

Email newsletter signup

He was taken by ground ambulance to Sentara Obici Hospital, from which he was later transported to Sentara Norfolk General Hospital.

The sixth floor was ventilated, and all the occupants were able to return to the building, according to the press release. The occupant of the unit where the fire started will not have to be displaced.