12 displaced by fire

Published 10:15 pm Wednesday, March 11, 2015

A dryer fire displaced 12 people at a home for special-needs adults in downtown Suffolk on Wednesday evening.

The fire in the 400 block of Finney Avenue was reported at 7:53 p.m. by the alarm company, and the first units arrived five minutes later. Firefighters found heavy smoke on the second floor of the two-story residence due to a fire that was contained to the dryer on that level, according to a city press release.

The home, operated by the Western Tidewater Community Services Board, is occupied by 12 residents in addition to staff members. All had safely evacuated the building prior to the arrival of firefighters.

Email newsletter signup

Two staff members were taken to Sentara Obici Hospital to be treated for smoke inhalation, according to the press release.

The occupants will stay at a local hotel overnight Wednesday, where they were transported by bus. They will be assisted and monitored by WTCSB staff.

Damage was limited to the laundry area, and occupants are expected to be able to return to the building on Thursday after it gets ventilated.