Before Suffolk custody hearing, girl killed in Kentucky

Published 9:33 pm Friday, May 15, 2015

A Chesapeake woman is raising money to bring her 11-year-old daughter’s body back to Virginia after, police believe, the girl’s father shot her and then turned his gun on himself.

Karina Jonas was scheduled to have a custody hearing in Suffolk in August, according to a GoFundMe page set up to raise money to bring her daughter, Tasha, back to Hampton Roads for burial. The girl previously attended Northern Shores Elementary School, according to one of the comments on the page.

According to the page, Jonas’ ex-husband, John Jonas, was granted custody after a “bad marriage, divorce and a nasty custody battle that lasted several years.”

Email newsletter signup

The court system “believed that John Jonas’ high rank as an O5 Army Lieutenant Colonel was a better fit and could provide their daughter with a higher standard of care than her mother,” the page states.

John Jonas was granted full custody of his daughter, according to the page, and eventually transferred by the military to Fort Knox, Ky.

“No one listened” when Karina Jonas tried to warn the military, lawyers, court systems and the school system in Kentucky that “she strongly believed her baby girl was in danger.”

Local media reports from Kentucky say the state police believe Jonas shot his 11-year-old daughter and then turned the gun on himself about 10:30 p.m. on Monday. Local media say Jonas was wearing his uniform when he was found dead.

Kentucky State Police did not return a request for official information about the shooting.

“Tasha was a very silly, loving and sweet 11-year-old little girl who loved life and enjoyed to dance and play outside,” according to the fundraising page.

According to the fundraising page, the Army would not pay for Tasha’s body to be transported back to Virginia or provide any financial assistance for the funeral and interment, since Karina Jonas is not a family member following the divorce.

According to a message on the page, a local funeral home has donated its services, and local police officers, sheriffs and firefighters will escort Tasha’s body to the Louisville International Airport.