Former firefighter sentenced

Published 10:07 pm Friday, May 22, 2015

A former Suffolk firefighter was sentenced to a year in prison on Thursday for embezzling from the firefighters’ union.

Sheron Alen Gibson Sr., 42, pleaded guilty to one count each of embezzlement and forgery. Eleven other counts of embezzlement were not prosecuted as part of a plea agreement.

Gibson was secretary/treasurer of the Local 2801 of the International Association of Fire Fighters from 2008 to 2013, according to evidence presented by prosecutor Marilyn Sallee at his plea hearing in March.

Email newsletter signup

On Feb. 24, 2014, president Travis Peirce was notified that a check made payable to the Muscular Dystrophy Association had been returned for insufficient funds. The firefighters do a fundraiser for the MDA every year, and the check that was returned was for the proceeds of the fundraiser, Sallee said in court.

That was the first indication that there was a problem with the union’s bank accounts, Sallee said. Peirce contacted law enforcement.

A forensic accountant found that 67 checks payable to Gibson, none of which had been authorized by the union, had been written on the account. In addition, a debit card was used to pay recurring monthly bills for accounts the union had never opened.

The account also was being used to pay vendors for Gibson’s business, Virginia Fire Extinguishers Inc., which sells and services fire extinguishers and other workplace safety products.

Sallee said yearly audits on the union’s account were not being performed as required. One purported audit, dated in 2012, appeared to have been done by a legitimate auditor who had worked with the union previously, but it turned out to be a forgery, including the business’s letterhead and the signature on the report.

Sallee said full restitution of about $109,000 has been made to the union.

Gibson was named Firefighter of the Year in 2009. He served as a firefighter and medic. At the time of the Firefighter of the Year award, he taught emergency medical courses to fire department personnel and worked as an emergency care technician at Sentara Obici Hospital. He served in the U.S. Navy Reserves for four years.