Two displaced by kitchen fire

Published 4:50 pm Sunday, May 31, 2015

Two people were displaced by a kitchen fire in the 200 block of E. Washington Street on Sunday morning.

Emergency Communications received the call at 11 a.m., and the first units arrived on scene at 11:04 a.m., according to a city press release.

Upon arrival, firefighters found that the fire had been suppressed by a sprinkler system in the kitchen of the second floor apartment. The fire was contained to the kitchen, and there was no extension of fire into other apartment units or into the retail businesses on the street level.

Email newsletter signup

The fire was called under control at 11:11 a.m., according to the release. There were no injuries.

There was an extensive amount of water damage to the apartment due to the sprinkler system. Two adults have been displaced and are being assisted by the American Red Cross.

The former Chop Shop, located below the apartment, received some water damage. The barber shop has previously relocated to the renovated retail businesses in the 100 block of West Washington Street.

Suffolk Police provided security and a portion of the street was closed.

The fire was ruled accidental, according to the release.