Three displaced in fire

Published 5:38 pm Saturday, July 11, 2015

A family of three, including a child, was displaced from their duplex after a kitchen fire on Saturday morning.

The fire was in the 800 block of Second Avenue near downtown. It was reported at 4:47 a.m., and the first units arrived on scene at 4:53 a.m., according to a city press release. Crews found heavy smoke showing from the rear of the two-story, brick duplex.

The fire originated on the first floor and was determined to be an accidental fire that extended to the wall and cabinets.

Email newsletter signup

The family in the downstairs unit will be temporarily displaced and is being assisted by the property owner, according to the release. The upstairs unit, suffered minor smoke damage, but the one adult and two children there were not displaced.

There were no injuries, according to the release. One adult was assessed for smoke inhalation but did not need medical transport. The fire was reported under control at 5:13 a.m.