Dawson, Gray win; NR second
Published 9:22 pm Tuesday, January 19, 2016
The Nansemond River High School wrestling team traveled to Richmond and put up a strong showing in a field of 16 squads during the ninth annual Tiger Invitational at John Randolph Tucker High School on Saturday.
The Warriors placed second as a team, while NR senior Malcolm Dawson and junior Dia Gray took first in the 113-pound and 285-pound weight classes, respectively.
“They dominated everybody they wrestled,” Nansemond River coach Tripp Seed said of Dawson and Gray.
Email newsletter signup
Dawson was voted Outstanding Wrestler in the lower division.
As a team, J.R. Tucker won its invitational with 196 points, and the Warriors finished with 171.
Dawson and Gray generated 30 points apiece, winning all of their matches by pin.
Championship — quarterfinals
- 113 – Dawson pins Shane Morton (J.R Tucker) in 0:53
- 285 – Gray pins Arthur Stevens (Caroline County) in 3:33
Championship — semifinals
- 113 – Dawson pins Perrin Fay (Western Branch) in 1:18
- 285 – Gray pins Jack Oppenheim (Deep Run) in 1:42
Championship — first-place finals
- 113 – Dawson pins Jonah Herman (J.R Tucker) in 2:15
- 285 – Gray pins Ramon Ares (Colonial Heights) in 1:26
“We had 11 of our guys place out of the 14 that we took, so that was good,” Seed said.
Warriors’ sophomore 106-pounder Derrick Cannon and junior 220-pounder Tommy Cervantes each took third place, going 4-1. Following are the results from their performances in championship and consolation matches:
Championship – first round
- 106 – Cannon defeats Kevin Velez (Clover Hill) by a 15-5 major decision
- 220 – Cervantes pins Jose Dudley (Freeman) in 1:05
Championship – quarterfinals
- 106 – Joe Paul (Maggie Walker Governor’s School) defeats Cannon by 13-6 major decision
- 220 – Robbie Adelstein (Atlee) pins Cervantes in 3:21
Consolation (third) – semifinals
- 106 – Cannon defeats Preston Thayer (Colonial Heights) by technical fall, 20-4
- 220 – Cervantes pins Ethan Paul (Caroline County) in 0:22
Championship – third place finals
- 106 – Cannon defeats Mason Grimes (Western Branch) by a 9-5 decision
- 220 – Cervantes pins Garrett Altizer (Patrick Henry-Ashland) in 0:30
Warriors’ freshman 160-pounder Zechiariah Gray finished in fourth place, going 3-2, and freshman 145-pounder Aaron Whear took fifth place with a 3-2 record.
Nansemond River (11-9) hosts Smithfield High School in a dual meet on Friday at 4:30 p.m. and then hosts matches against conference opponents on Saturday.