Teen charged as adult in murder

Published 8:14 pm Saturday, February 20, 2016

A Suffolk teen has been charged as an adult in a Portsmouth murder case as well as several charges in Suffolk.

Daquan Miller, 17, is charged with the Sept. 6 shooting of 60-year-old Ronald Lindsey of Chesapeake.

Miller is also charged in Suffolk with two counts of grand larceny of an automobile, as well as felony animal cruelty and second offense of maim/kill an animal for allegedly shooting a dog.

Email newsletter signup

In May 2011, at the age of 12, Miller was accused of beating a kitten he and a group of other children found near their homes on Brook Avenue. The kitten — later dubbed “Little Heart” because of a blue heart drawn on its leg cast — died of internal injuries about a week after the incident.

According to the other children who witnessed the incident, he threw the stray against a wall, beat it with a stick and then pulled out a pocketknife. Another boy knocked the pocketknife out of his hand.

He was found guilty in Juvenile and Domestic Relations Court and sentenced to supervised probation, a mentoring program, therapy and a suspended sentence of 30 days in juvenile detention. His name was not released at the time of that charge.

Since then, according to court records, he has other offenses on his juvenile record, including assault and battery and violations of probation.

In late August and early September of last year, Miller allegedly racked up more charges. He is accused of stealing a black Volvo on Aug. 30 and shooting a passing dog from the stolen car on Sept. 1. He was 16 at the time.

The shooting of Lindsey happened about 3:07 a.m. Sept. 6 in the 1900 block of Victory Boulevard. Officers responded to a call and found him suffering from a gunshot wound. He was transported to a local hospital, where he later died as a result of his injuries.

A two-day jury trial on the Suffolk charges is set for May 16-17. On the Portsmouth charges, a two-day jury trial is set for April 20-21.

Miller’s attorney, Tiffany Sullivan, did not return two calls to her office last week requesting comment.