Teen hurt in kitchen fire

Published 10:31 pm Thursday, April 14, 2016

A 13-year-old Suffolk boy suffered burns to his hand and was taken to the hospital following a fire at a home in the 600 block of Kinsey Lane on Thursday.

Firefighters responded to a structure fire at the detached home in the Lake Kennedy neighborhood at 6:50 p.m. The blaze had been contained to the kitchen stove and was already out when firefighters arrived five minutes later, according to a press release from Suffolk spokeswoman Diana Klink.

The teenager received emergency medical assessment and treatment for his burns and was taken by ambulance to Sentara Obici Hospital, Klink stated.

Email newsletter signup

Responding units included Engine 2 and Engine 3, Ladder 3, Battalion 1, EMS-1, Rescue 1 and Medic 3A.

Klink stated that the cause of the fire was accidental.