Trooper to be honored during Thursday service
A Suffolk native will be among the Virginia State Police troopers honored at Thursday’s 2016 Virginia State Police Law Enforcement Memorial Service in Richmond.
Trooper Nathan-Michael W. Smith, 27, died in the line of duty on Sept. 21, 2015, when he crashed his patrol car on an Interstate 295 exit ramp in Prince George County. He was responding to an emergency request for assistance at a fatal crash scene in Dinwiddie County.
A portrait of Smith will be unveiled before his family and fellow troopers during the ceremony, which will take place in the Virginia State Police gymnasium. Following the service, the portrait will be hung in the Col. C.W. Woodson Jr. Memorial Gallery.
The gallery already holds the portraits of the agency’s 60 other men and women who have died in the line of duty.
Also honored will be Trooper Chad P. Dermyer, 37, who died in the line of duty March 31, 2016, in Richmond.
Delegate Lamont Bagby of the Virginia House of Delegates will provide the ceremony’s keynote address.
The service will recognize all of the Virginia State Police personnel who have died in the line of duty, including a special tribute to 13 troopers for whom 2016 marks a significant passage of time since their deaths. Each tribute includes a single bell toll and an Honor Guard salute. They are listed below with their year and place of death.
- 5 Years: Trooper Adam M. Bowen (2011, King George County)
- 10 Years: Sr. Trooper Robert A. Hill, Sr. (2006, Southampton County)
- 10 Years: Trooper Kevin C. Manion (2006, Clarke County)
- 20 Years: Trooper Gregory P. Fleenor (1996, Hanover County)
- 30 Years: Trooper Ricky M. McCoy (1986, Salem)
- 35 Years: Trooper Robin L. Farmer (1981, Caroline County)
- 40 Years: Trooper Bernard W. Wright (1976, Halifax County)
- 40 Years: Trooper Garland W. Fisher, Jr. (1976, Durham, N.C.)
- 60 Years: Trooper Henry M. Brooks, Jr. (1956, Pittsylvania County)
- 65 Years: Trooper Robert Wright Smith (1951, Pamplin)
- 65 Years: Investigator Wallace M. Simpson (1951, Petersburg)
- 70 Years: Trooper William H. Andrews (1946, Nottoway County)
- 75 Years: Trooper Urshell T. Mayo (1941, Hampton)