Suffolk Foundation awards $29,000
Published 6:41 pm Saturday, July 30, 2016
The Suffolk Foundation has presented its 2016 academic scholarship awards and was able to disburse $29,000 to 11 recipients.
Since the Foundation received its nonprofit community foundation status in October 2007, it has awarded more than $3.3 million in unrestricted and donor-advised grants and scholarships.
The Foundation scholarships support students continuing their education in the following areas: cultural arts, education, business, health, computer science, and skilled trades. The scholarship funds are disbursed directly to the recipients’ college or university. For additional information on the individual scholarships, visit the Suffolk Foundation website at www.suffolkfoundation.org/scholarships.html.
Email newsletter signup
The 2016 Suffolk Foundation scholarships and recipients were:
- AllFirst Memorial Scholarship ($1,000 each) — Kaitlyn M. Evans, Virginia Commonwealth University; Sydney P. Gay, Longwood University (the scholarship advisor donated the additional funds needed to award two scholarships in 2016).
- Ossie S. & Thomas F. Blair Jr. Memorial Scholarship ($5,000) — Paula K. Steward, Lakeland High School.
- Col. Fred V. Cherry Scholarship ($2,000) — Paula K. Steward, Lakeland High School.
- Louis & Mary Haddad Foundation Scholarship ($1,000) — Conrad S. Plummer Jr., Nansemond River High School.
- W.N. (Billy) Hill Scholarship ($1,000) — Ariel J. Salerno, Lakeland High School.
- Howard D. Mast Memorial Scholarship ($5,000 each) — Joshua M. Bush, King’s Fork High School, Arielle T. Reyes, King’s Fork High School (based on the scholarship committee’s recommendation, and thanks to an anonymous donation, two scholarships were awarded in 2016).
- Lewis F. Morris Memorial Scholarship ($1,000) — Joshua M. Bush, King’s Fork High School.
- Amy Phelps Art Scholarship ($2,000) — Nicole Vasilauskis, Smithfield High School.
- Suffolk Business Women’s Scholarship ($5,000) — Emily Van Dorn, Suffolk Christian Academy.