One injured, seven displaced in fire

Published 9:34 pm Monday, October 31, 2016

One person was injured and four adults and three children were displaced during a fire at a home in the 200 block of Chestnut Street on Monday evening.

A woman was taken to Sentara Obici Hospital because of smoke inhalation, according to Suffolk spokeswoman Diana Klink. The home sustained significant smoke and fire damage, especially in the kitchen area.

Dispatchers received a call at 6:23 p.m. advising of a fire in the two-story, single-family home in the downtown area.

Email newsletter signup

When firefighters arrived on the scene three minutes later, they found fire coming from the rear of the home and extending to the second story, according to Klink.

Two occupants had already evacuated the structure.

The fire marshal has determined that the fire was due to unattended cooking, Klink stated in the release.

The American Red Cross is assisting the family.