Warrant: Man kicked pregnant woman in stomach

Published 9:44 pm Tuesday, May 30, 2017

Police have charged a 36-year-old man with two felonies and a misdemeanor following an alleged domestic altercation last week.


Police who responded to the home on Roosevelt Drive in the East Suffolk Gardens neighborhood on Friday morning said they also found evidence of a much different crime — manufacturing methamphetamines.

Preston Guy Taylor is charged with abduction and kidnapping, third-offense assault and battery of a family member and damaging a telephone line to prevent summoning law enforcement.

Email newsletter signup

According to an arrest warrant filed in Suffolk Juvenile and Domestic Relations Court, Taylor is accused of kicking his pregnant girlfriend in the stomach, blocking her from leaving the home and ripping the phone out of her hand when she tried to call 911.

The warrant states that the victim has lived with Taylor at the residence for four months and is 13 weeks pregnant with his child. The two had a verbal altercation, according to the warrant, and the victim told Taylor she was leaving.

Taylor pushed the front door closed and held his hand on the door to prevent the woman from leaving, according to the arrest warrant. He allegedly ripped the cellphone out of her hand when she started to dial 911, the warrant states.

As she turned to run for the back door, Taylor kicked the woman in the stomach, according to the warrant. She ran back and forth between the doors a couple of times before she was finally able to exit out of the front door without Taylor blocking her, according to the warrant.

She ran to a neighbor’s house to call 911, but nobody was home. As she was knocking on the door, Taylor stepped on the front porch, threw the phone into the front yard and went back into the house, according to the warrant.

She retrieved her phone from the yard and called 911.

When police arrived at the residence, they “determined there was potential hazardous material present at the home,” according to a city press release. Suffolk Fire & Rescue responded, along with Virginia State Police.

Residents were evacuated from four neighboring houses during the initial investigation. The hazardous materials have been mitigated, according to a city press release.

The incident is still under investigation, and no additional charges have been filed, according to a Tuesday press release.