Man acquitted on felony charges

Published 9:39 pm Tuesday, October 10, 2017

A Suffolk man was acquitted after a jury trial Sept. 28 on charges that could have sent him to prison for life.

Brandon Lamont Lindsay, 28, was charged with four counts of assault and battery of a family member, two counts of abduction, two counts of strangling resulting in wound or injury, abduction with intent to defile and object sexual penetration.

He had been held without bond since his arrest last November.

Email newsletter signup

“One of the greatest constitutional rights we have is our Sixth Amendment right to a trial by jury, and today we saw justice served,” Lindsay’s attorney, Fred Taylor, wrote in a press release. “Mr. Lindsay and his family are extremely happy with today’s outcome and his vindication, but are eager to move forward and put this tragic year of his life behind him.”

Lindsay and his girlfriend had been living together about three months when the charges were placed last November, according to the arrest warrant. According to the warrant, she told police Lindsay choked her several times. On one occasion, according to the warrant, she said he choked her from behind, lifting her off the ground, cutting off her airway and causing trouble swallowing for the next three or four days.

She also told police he took her phone from her and refused to leave her alone so she couldn’t call police, according to the warrant. She also said he kicked her off the bed at least once and would sexually assault her as punishment for not doing what he wanted, according to the warrant.

Judge Robert H. Sandwich Jr. struck three of the charges prior to the jury receiving the case. Taylor said the commonwealth presented little evidence.

Following Lindsay testifying in his own defense, the jury deliberated for only 45 minutes before returning a unanimous verdict of not guilty.

Lindsay could have faced two life sentences plus 34 years had he been found guilty.

“The jury heard the evidence and came to what they felt was a just and fair verdict,” prosecutor George Bruch wrote in an email in response to a request for comment.

Freedom didn’t last long for Lindsay, however. He was arrested Sept. 29 on unrelated warrants from North Carolina.