Man attacked in Charlottesville charged
A Suffolk man who was injured in a brutal assault during a Charlottesville rally in August has himself been charged with unlawful wounding.
DeAndre Shakur Harris, 20, was attacked in a parking garage on Aug. 12 in the aftermath of the white-supremacist rally at which he was a counterprotester. The Lakeland High School graduate came away from the attack with a concussion, broken arm and eight staples in his head, he wrote on a GoFundMe page after the attack.
Four men, including Alex Michael Ramos, 33, of Georgia, and Daniel Patrick Borden, 18, of Ohio, have been arrested in connection with the assault on Harris.
But now, someone else who was present is blaming Harris for injuries he sustained that day.
Lt. Stephen Upman of the Charlottesville Police Department stated in a press release dated Monday that a warrant had been issued for Harris in relation to the assault.
“The victim went to the magistrate’s office, presented the facts of what occurred and attempted to obtain the warrant,” Upman wrote. “The magistrate requested that a detective respond and verify these facts.”
After the Charlottesville Police Department detective responded, the warrant against Harris was issued.
Upman declined to identify the man who took out the warrant.
An attorney for Harris, S. Lee Merritt, did not return a message left at his office, but he posted a press release on his Twitter account.
He called the charge “the result of a successful campaign by the neo-Confederate hate group, League of the South, to manipulate the Charlottesville judiciary and further victimize Mr. Harris.”
Merritt identified the complainant against Harris as Harold Ray Crews, chairman of the group’s North Carolina chapter.
“Mr. Crews was not injured in any way by DeAndre Harris,” the press release states. “Harris and Crews had a brief encounter when Harris observed Crews appearing to spear an associate with the sharpened end of a confederate flag pole. Mr. Harris swung a flashlight in the space between the flag pole and Mr. Crews, failing to make significant contact before the brief scuffle ended.”
Harris retreated from the encounter and was followed, surrounded and beaten by several white men. In the meantime, Crews was injured in a separate subsequent incident that did not involve Harris, Merritt stated in the press release.
The incident with Crews was recorded and appears to involve a clash among at least four white males, Merritt stated. “In the video, you can clearly see Crews struck in the head by an object wielded by an unidentified white male, causing him to fall and strike the pavement.”
Merritt posted a video to his Twitter account that he says shows the incident involving Crews.
Merritt, whose office is in Philadelphia, Pa., stated his office is arranging for Harris to surrender after obtaining local counsel.
In a separate tweet, Merritt posted a photo of Harris and said he is “in good spirits and confident that false charges will be exposed and responsible parties held accountable.”