Firefighters treated for pesticide exposure

Published 11:43 pm Friday, November 3, 2017

Nine Suffolk firefighters have been treated for exposure to pesticide that occurred while responding to an incident Friday evening.

The incident was reported at 6:22 p.m. Workers in a nearby business in the 1300 block of Progress Road said they saw smoke coming from the Continental Terminals facility, according to a city press release.

No one was at the facility, and firefighters forced entry into the building. They encountered a haze they initially thought was smoke, but then realized it was a pesticide being used to fog the facility, according to the release.

Email newsletter signup

Advance notification is supposed to be provided to the fire marshal’s office when treatment such as that is taking place, according to the release.

The firefighters were treated and released at Sentara Obici Hospital.

The road was closed during the incident but reopened about 8:48 p.m., according to the release.

The fire marshal’s office is investigating the incident.