Grand jury indicts 35
The grand jury on Monday indicted 35 defendants on 67 charges, including two people charged in vehicle crashes that resulted in death.
Cory Ann Jones, 25, of Suffolk, was indicted on several felony charges stemming from a Sept. 26 crash that took the life of 46-year-old Hope Tara Parham, also of Suffolk.
Jones faces charges of felony homicide, involuntary manslaughter, hit and run personal injury, aggressive driving, reckless driving — excessive speed, failure to wear seatbelt, two counts of improper passing on the double solid line and reckless — general.
The crash happened in the 1400 block of Holland Road at 3:21 p.m. that day. The crash was initially reported as a single-vehicle accident, but police said the next day they were investigating it as a hit and run. The suspect vehicle was identified later that day, according to a city press release.
Jones is currently being held without bond at Western Tidewater Regional Jail.
Also indicted Monday was Calvin C. James, on a charge of involuntary manslaughter.
James, 60, is charged in relation to a crash that happened April 17 in the 3300 block of Holland Road. The crash killed John E. Groves, 84.
According to court documents, James was driving a tractor-trailer that afternoon when he struck Groves’ Ford pickup truck from behind as it prepared to make a right turn. The pickup then struck a house.
Groves died in the hospital four days later.
The full grand jury report is below.
- Damon Arturo Alexander — drive while intoxicated, third offense within 5 years
- Justin Ray Arena — possession of controlled substance; destruction of property with intent (2 counts)
- Megan Lynn Barnes — grand larceny
- Christopher Eugene Belfield — robbery
- James Henry Brock — possession of cocaine
- Octavion DeWright Brown — grand larceny; larceny with intent to sell
- Tyreek Carr — fail to stop at accident; aggressive driving
- Dustin Brien Caulfield — strangle causing wound or injury
- Gordon Reid Chase — possession of heroin; possession of fentanyl
- Imani Claud — forge public records; identity theft; utter forged public records
- Alante Octavious Cooley — fraudulent conversion of rental property
- Jonathan Terrell Copeland — assault and battery of law enforcement officer (2 counts)
- Taylor Thomas Dailey — grand larceny; conspiracy to commit larceny; larceny with intent to sell
- Wilvern Major Flythe — grand larceny; larceny with intent to sell
- Walter Leonard Foster Jr. — wear mask in public
- Joevonta Demetrius Gay — wear mask in public
- Tabatha Renee Goodrich — larceny of a bank note (2 counts); conspiracy to commit forgery (2 counts); forgery (2 counts); obtain money by false pretenses (4 counts); possession of Schedule I or II controlled substance (2 counts)
- Dequan Shaheem Griffin — strangle causing wound or injury
- LaPaul Dontrell Hall — strangle causing wound or injury
- Leon Hamlin — assault and battery of law enforcement officer (2 counts)
- Rodney Lee Jackson Jr. — grand larceny; conspiracy to commit larceny; larceny with intent to sell
- Calvin C. James — involuntary manslaughter
- Michael Joseph Marcotte Jr. — malicious wounding; shoot/stab in commission of a felony
- Paul McPherson — possess firearm while violent felon
- Larry Donell Minggia Jr. — obtain money by false pretenses; false statement on DMV application; obtain DMV documents unlawfully
- Frank Otis Jr. — embezzlement, more than $200
- Raymond Lemon Peele — possess firearm while a felon within 10 years
- Reshawn Lamont Phillips — shoot, stab, cut or wound
- Aaron Wynne Queen — aggravated malicious wounding
- Joshua Wayne Swall — grand larceny; larceny with intent to sell
- Deontray Lemont Trotter — distribution marijuana, ½ ounce to 5 pounds
- Jerry Dalton Varnell Jr. — drive while intoxicated, third or subsequent offense; drive while suspended/revoked, endangerment
- Nathaniel Jerome A. White — grand larceny; conspiracy to commit larceny
- Jared Logan Wright — elude police, endangerment
- Jacob Richard Zeno — malicious wounding; shoot, stab, cut or wound