Storm knocks out power, cancels parade
The Suffolk Holiday Parade set for Saturday has been canceled due to the threat of inclement weather, but other festive fun is still available this weekend.
City officials announced on Friday afternoon the parade, which was scheduled to step off at 7 p.m. in downtown Suffolk, would be canceled.
The decision was made “out of an abundance of caution for the safety and welfare of participants and guests,” according to a city press release. There will be no rain date for the event.
Also Friday, five schools were out of power for part of the afternoon and had to make adjustments.
Nansemond River High School, John Yeates Middle School, and Driver, Mack Benn Jr. and Nansemond Parkway elementary schools all were out of power. Parents were asked to pick up their children as soon as possible from the after-school programs at the middle school and three elementary schools. The power at the high school had been restored by shortly after 4 p.m., so no activities there were impacted.
Many Dominion Virginia Power customers in the Bennett’s Pasture area were out of power Friday, but by the evening, most of them had been restored.
The National Weather Service anticipates a chance of rain and snow before 7 p.m. Saturday night, then a slight chance of snow until 10 p.m. Saturday night’s low is expected to be around 28.
No snow accumulation is expected, however, so getting to indoor Christmas events on Saturday should still be safe.
The following holiday events are taking place Saturday:
- Disney’s “Moana” will be shown for free from 2 to 4 p.m. at the Suffolk Center for Cultural Arts, 110 W. Finney Ave. Moana will be available for photos after the film. Donations of canned food or other non-perishable food items are encouraged. Call 514-4131 or 923-2900 for more information.
- Bring the kids to meet Santa from 1 to 5 p.m. at the Suffolk Seaboard Station Railroad Museum, 326 N. Main St. Call 514-4131 for more information.
- Paul D. Camp Community College will offer free Christmas portraits for individuals and families from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. in room 106 at the Hobbs Suffolk Campus, 271 Kenyon Road. Registration is recommended and can be done by calling 569-6790. Walk-ins are also welcome.
- There will be a Breakfast with Santa event at Whaleyville United Methodist Church, 6312 Whaleyville Blvd., from 8 to 10 a.m. The cost is $6. Bring your cameras. All proceeds will be donated to the American Cancer Society’s Relay for Life. Call 620-0833.
- The Suffolk Sheriff’s Office will have a toy drive from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. at both Walmart locations, 1200 N. Main St. and 6259 College Drive. All donations will be given to Elephant’s Fork Elementary School and Booker T. Washington Elementary School.
And one on Sunday:
- Meet Santa at the Suffolk Seaboard Station Railroad Museum, 326 N. Main St., from 1 to 5 p.m. Bring your cameras for photos with Santa. The event is free and open to the public. Call 514-4130 or visit www.visitsuffolkva.com.