City announces holiday closings
Published 7:22 pm Saturday, December 16, 2017
Suffolk city offices will close at noon on Friday this week and remain closed Dec. 25 and Dec. 26 in observance of Christmas. Offices will reopen for normal operations at 8:30 a.m. Dec. 27.
The following city departments and services will observe the following schedule:
- There will be no change to the trash or TFC Recycling collection schedule for the week of Dec. 18-22. For the week of Dec. 25-30, trash and TFC Recycling collection will run on a one-day delay, with Tuesday’s route picked up on Wednesday, Wednesday’s route on Thursday, Thursday’s route on Friday, and Friday’s route on Saturday. Suffolk Public Works Department reminds residents that trash must be placed at curbside no later than 7 a.m. on the day of collection. For more information on refuse collection, please call Public Works at 514-763.
- From Dec. 27 through Jan. 6, the Suffolk Department of Public Works Refuse Division will collect all Christmas trees and boxes as a special collection. During these two weeks, Christmas trees and boxes will not be counted towards the 12 free special collections. Any Christmas trees put out for collection after Jan. 6 will be picked up but will count as a special collection. The trees and boxes will need to be placed at the curb the same day as the residence’s regular collection. The trees do not have to be secured and the boxes do not have to be collapsed.
- The Southeastern Public Service Authority Transfer Station in Suffolk and the SPSA Regional Landfill will be closed on Dec. 25.
- All Suffolk Joint Use Recreation Centers (Mack Benn Jr., Booker T. Washington, King’s Fork, Creekside, Northern Shores and Oakland) will be closed Dec. 22-26.
- The East Suffolk Recreation Center and Whaleyville Community Center will close at noon Dec. 22 and remain closed Dec. 25-26.
- Suffolk’s four major parks — Lone Star Lakes, Constant’s Wharf, Sleepy Hole and Bennett’s Creek — will remain open during the holiday; however, no park attendant will be on duty.
- The Suffolk Art Gallery will close at noon Dec. 22 and remain closed th4ough Dec. 26.
- Suffolk Transit will not operate on Dec. 25.
- All Suffolk City Libraries will close at noon Dec. 22 and remain closed through Dec. 26. Library locations will reopen at 10 a.m. on Dec. 27.
- The Suffolk Tourism Visitor Center will be closed Dec. 24-25. The Visitor Center will reopen at 9 a.m. Dec. 26.
- The Suffolk Executive Airport terminal will be unmanned from noon Dec. 22 until 8 a.m. Dec. 27. The field and self-service fuel island will remain open during this time. Suffolk BBQ at the Airport will be closed on Dec. 25.