Six displaced after electrical issue

Published 10:33 pm Thursday, January 11, 2018

Suffolk Fire and Rescue crews responded on Thursday afternoon to a report of a possible residential structure fire in the 100 block of Maple Street.

The call came in at 2:38 p.m., according to a city press release. The first unit arrived on scene at 2:41 p.m. A second-floor unit had “smoky conditions,” according to the release, and all occupants had left the home.

Personnel found an overheating issue with a multi-outlet electrical plug and opened up a wall to determine if the issue had spread there, but it had not.

Email newsletter signup

The residents, three adults and three children, were displaced due to the power having to be turned off, the press release stated. They are receiving assistance from the American Red Cross.

Dominion Energy responded to the scene and is coordinating with an electrician to expedite repairs, the release stated.

There were no injuries to occupants or firefighters.