Man airlifted with severe burns after ‘flash fire’

Published 10:35 am Wednesday, January 31, 2018

A man remained in critical condition as of Wednesday evening after being airlifted to a hospital with potentially life-threatening burns after a flash fire reportedly occurred while he was working on a boiler.

The incident happened at Ervin Architectural Products in the 1200 block of Carolina Road on Wednesday. It was reported at 7:31 a.m., according to a city press release.

The first unit arrived on scene at 7:39 a.m. and found the man suffering from severe burns. He was airlifted by Nightingale to Sentara Norfolk General Hospital.

Newsletter

Email newsletter signup

The press release stated that the victim reportedly was attempting to start the boiler that feeds water and heat to the business and attempted to use gasoline as an accelerant.

The building did not catch fire.

No foul play was involved, the press release stated.