History well honored at Glebe

Published 10:25 pm Wednesday, April 11, 2018

Suffolk has been steeped in history since the Nansemond Indians settled here hundreds, if not thousands, of years ago, so it should come as no surprise that Suffolk is a frequent location for new historical markers.

Yet another one is coming up this Sunday at Glebe Episcopal Church in Driver.

The Suffolk Chapter of National Society Colonial Dames XVII Century will have a dedication ceremony of a historic marker at Glebe Episcopal Church on April 15.

Newsletter

Email newsletter signup

Glebe Church in Suffolk came into existence in 1725 because the lower and Chuckatuck parishes had to be united. This was established as a part of the Anglican Church.

John Agnew was the appointed rector of the church and, through his sermons, spoke against the rebellion happening in the country in 1754. His views on the rebellion didn’t match those of the old Nansemond County, and he was dismissed during an impromptu sermon.

Agnew wasn’t physically thrown out of the church, but he was told to leave by Maj. William Cowper, and he obliged. After the incident, a safety committee in the county called for public censure of Agnew in an article of the Virginia Gazette.

The original structure is no longer there, but a new building stands on the same land. The new building was put there in 2003, because the parish hall was deemed too small to accommodate the community.

The National Society Colonial Dames VXII Century is a group that is based in a mutual interest in American history, and they have sponsored the placement of the newest marker at Glebe Episcopal Church.

We thank the National Society Colonial Dames VXII Century for their continued interest in our nation’s history and look forward to the placement of this sign to declare some of Suffolk’s history.