No injuries in Kilby Shores fire

Published 10:37 pm Monday, May 7, 2018

Firefighters extinguished a blaze in a Kilby Shores home on Monday afternoon.

The fire in the 100 block of Cottonwood Court was reported at 5:03 p.m., and the first units arrived at 5:10 p.m., according to a city press release. A neighbor walking in the area had alerted the residents of the two-story home, and they evacuated safely prior to firefighters’ arrival.

Firefighters found heavy smoke showing from the front door due to a kitchen fire, the release stated. The kitchen and adjacent room suffered significant fire damage, and the rest of the home had smoke damage. The fire was ruled accidental due to unattended cooking.

Newsletter

Email newsletter signup

Firefighters rescued a dog from the second floor of the home and administered oxygen to revive it, the press release stated.

The fire was called under control at 5:30 p.m., the release stated. There were no injuries.

Two adults were displaced and will be assisted by family.