Meaningful solutions needed
Published 10:14 pm Wednesday, May 23, 2018
To the editor:
- I propose these solutions to the mass shooting problem.
- Do away with the “gun-free zone” status for affected schools. Most mass shootings have occurred there, because the shooters feel safer and then act boldly. This action would follow simple common sense.
- Reduce the number of entry points to a bare minimum. Less convenience is worth increased protection for our school children.
- In all schools, have dedicated, trustworthy, well-qualified, armed personnel who are assigned responsibility for likely targeted areas within the school spaces. Select people with police and/or military experience.
- Hold the FBI, state and local police officers accountable for failure to perform their protection-related duties.