Brush fire burns two grassy acres

Published 2:40 pm Friday, February 15, 2019

Firefighters say a brush fire that burned two acres of grass Friday was caused by a carelessly discarded cigarette.

A fire burned two acres off Pitchkettle Road on Friday.

The fire in the 1100 block of Pitchkettle Road was reported at 11:40 a.m., and the first units arrived on scene at 11:45 a.m., according to a city press release. Due to the location of the fire, brush trucks and crews had to pull a number of lines and hoses to manually extinguish the fire, the release stated.

No structures were in danger, and there were no injuries.

Email newsletter signup

The Fire Marshal said the cause of the fire was a cigarette from a surveying crew that was working in the area.