Arson Awareness Week in Suffolk
The Suffolk Fire and Rescue Department and the U.S. Fire Administration are recognizing this week as “Arson Awareness Week,” and the theme this year is “Preventing Arson at Construction Sites,” according to a city press release.
Contractors are encouraged to help keep work sites safe using the following procedures:
- Store solvents, fuels and tools in a locked storage container or remove them from the job site when they are not being used.
- Request additional patrols or drive-bys from local law enforcement.
- Remove trash and debris from the site.
- Avoid storing excess materials at the site.
- Secure doors and windows on structures when crews are not actively working on the property.
According to the release, community members can also help prevent arson at construction sites by staying aware. Residents are being asked to become more familiar with activities in their neighborhood, and to report odd or suspicious activities to local law enforcement.
Arson Awareness Week runs through May 11.
For more information visit https://www.usfa.fema.gov/prevention/outreach/arson_prevention_construction_sites.html.