Discover the parks
Published 10:08 pm Thursday, May 9, 2019
Spring is the perfect time to get out and about, and here in Suffolk, there are many wonderful outdoor facilities and parks that give you a place to go.
Suffolk has four beautiful, large, “regional” parks that have a variety of amenities, and any one of them is a good choice for you, your family and your pets to have fun on a beautiful day. Check them all out and find your “vibe.”
Bennett’s Creek Park, 3000 Bennetts Creek Park Road, has 57 acres, three boat ramps to Bennett’s Creek, tennis courts, restrooms, covered shelters, a nature trail, open fields and a crabbing and fishing piece with handicap access.
Email newsletter signup
Lake Meade Park, 201 Holly Lawn Parkway, is near the heart of downtown and has a large playground, a skate park, a dog park, tennis courts, a walking track and nature trail, covered shelters, grills, restrooms and more.
Lone Star Lakes Park, 401 Kings Highway, is the most “wild” of the parks. It features 11 lakes for freshwater fishing, nature trails and picnic areas, a 3D archery range, boat ramp, playground, four-mile horse trail and more.
Sleepy Hole Park, 4616 Sleepy Hole Road, offers a horseshoe pit, canoeing and kayaking, fishing, a walking track, picnic shelters, restrooms, playground, volleyball and more. It has a large amount of open space, a five-acre freshwater lake and pier on the Nansemond River, and more.
There’s also Constant’s Wharf Park and Marina, 110 E. Constance Road, which has a canoe and kayak launch and plenty of open space.
If you prefer a smaller venue for your recreation, there are well more than a dozen neighborhood parks in Suffolk. There is likely even one near you that you haven’t discovered yet.
Those parks are:
- Boston Park, 825 Lincoln Ave.
- Coulbourn Park, 321 E. Constance Road
- Cypress Park and Pool, 2001 Arizona Ave.
- Holland Park and Athletic Field, 9720 Ruritan Blvd.
- Ida Easter Park, 725 Brook Ave.
- Joyner Park, 206 Holladay St.
- Lake Kennedy Park, 1300 Blythewood Lane
- Lakeside Park Tot Lot, 922 Maryland Ave.
- Magnolia Park, 4600 Magnolia Drive
- Mary Estes Playground, 220 Hunter St.
- Peanut Park, 308 S. Saratoga St.
- Planters Park, 515 York St.
- Pughsville Park, 5401 Townpoint Road
- Turlington Park, 2001 Arizona Ave.
- Tynes Street Playrgorund, 151 Tynes St.