Southampton student charged

Published 9:58 pm Tuesday, June 18, 2019

A 16-year-old Southampton High School student has been charged in connection with a June 11 incident that caused multiple students to feel ill after eating contaminated candy.

A Suffolk man, Jaden Phillips, 18, also has been charged in the incident.

Lt. Camden Cobb of the Southampton County Sheriff’s Office said last week that the students felt ill after eating gummy candy that was contaminated with an unknown substance. Eight students, ranging in age from 14 to 16, were taken to Southampton Memorial Hospital. Seven were later discharged, while one was transferred, according to hospital spokesman Brandon Seier.

Phillips has been charged with possession with intent to distribute Schedule I/II narcotics, distribution to someone under 18 and contributing to the delinquency of a minor.

Cobb said Phillips allegedly distributed the gummy candy to a student at the high school, who apparently then gave it to others.

Cobb stated in a Tuesday update this week that the 16-year-old Southampton student is charged with nine counts of possession with intent to distribute Schedule I/II narcotics and nine counts of distribution of drugs on school grounds. A juvenile intake officer issued a detention order for arrest last week, and the student turned herself in without incident on Sunday.

She was transported to Chesapeake Juvenile Services, then appeared in Juvenile and Domestic Relations Court Monday. She was released to the custody of her parents, the press release states.

The evidence will be analyzed by the Department of Forensic Science to determine exactly what substances it contains, Cobb stated.