July 4 closings announced
In observance of Independence Day, Suffolk city offices will be closed July 4-5. Normal operations will resume at 8:30 a.m. Monday.
The following city departments, facilities and services will observe the following schedule:
- There will be no trash or recycling collection on Thursday. Suffolk Public Works Department and TFC Recycling will pick up trash and recycling on a one-day delay, with Thursday’s routes on Friday and Friday’s routes on Saturday. Bins must be placed at curbside no later than 7 a.m. on the day of collection. Businesses located in the Downtown Business Overlay District (DBOD) will have their collection run as scheduled on Tuesday and Friday. For more information on refuse collection, call Public Works at 514-7630.
- The Southeastern Public Service Authority Transfer Station in Suffolk and Regional Landfill will be closed on Thursday, July 4th. Both sites will be open from 8 a.m. to noon or until all member communities have completed their collection routes on Friday and Saturday.
- Suffolk Transit will not operate on Thursday. Suffolk Transit will run as normally scheduled on Friday.
- All Suffolk Parks & Recreation joint use recreation facilities will be closed Thursday and Friday. All Planet Recreation and Hoops 4 Life programs and sites will be closed Thursday and Friday, including the Booker T. Washington, Creekside, Mack Benn Jr., Northern Shores, Oakland, King’s Fork and Whaleyville recreation centers.
- The East Suffolk Recreation Center and Whaleyville Recreation Center will be closed Thursday and Friday. The Suffolk Parks & Recreation Administrative Office will be closed Thursday and Friday.
- Suffolk’s four major parks — Lone Star Lakes, Sleepy Hole, Constant’s Wharf Park & Marina and Bennett’s Creek — will remain open Thursday and Friday; however, no park attendant will be on duty. Constant’s Wharf Park & Marina will be the site for the Stars and Stripes Spectacular on Thursday, with the park opening at 5:30 p.m. and fireworks starting at 9 p.m.
- Cypress Park Pool will be closed Thursday and Friday.
- The Suffolk Art Gallery will be closed Thursday and Friday.
- All Suffolk Public Library locations (Morgan Memorial, North Suffolk, Chuckatuck) will be closed on Thursday and Friday. Regular operating hours resume starting at 10 a.m. Saturday.
- The Suffolk Visitor Center and Suffolk Seaboard Station Railroad Museum will remain open on Thursday and Friday. The Visitor Center will be open 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. The Railroad Museum will be open 10 a.m. to 5 p.m.
- The Suffolk Executive Airport Terminal and restaurant will be open on Thursday and Friday but will be manned by restaurant personnel only. The field and self-service fuel farm will remain open during this time.