Events impacted by Dorian
Published 5:17 pm Wednesday, September 4, 2019
Updated 2 p.m., Thursday
The following events and activities have been either canceled or rescheduled this week due to Hurricane Dorian.
Paul D. Camp Community College
- Paul D. Camp Community College will close at 4:30 p.m. Thursday and will remain closed until 8 a.m. Saturday, Sept. 7.
Email newsletter signup
Suffolk Public Schools
- Suffolk Public Schools will be closed Friday, Sept. 6.
- Suffolk Public Schools will dismiss early Thursday. Middle schools will dismiss at 11:25 a.m., high schools at 12:25 p.m. and elementary schools will dismiss at 1:15 p.m. All schools will serve lunch.
- King’s Fork High School field hockey, volleyball and football games on Thursday are rescheduled for another date.
- Lakeland High School volleyball and field hockey games on Thursday have also been rescheduled.
- All Suffolk Parks and Recreation before and after school programs, athletic practices and games for Friday are cancelled.
The Children’s Center
- All Children’s Center Early Head Start classrooms in Suffolk will be closed Friday, Sept. 6.
- Suffolk Children’s Center Early Head Start will dismiss at 12:45 p.m. Thursday.
- Pruden Center Early Head Start will dismiss at 12:45 p.m. Thursday.
- Suffolk Head Start EHS classes will dismiss at 2 p.m. Thursday.
Suffolk Christian Academy
- Students will be dismissed at the regular time Thursday. All after school activities are canceled. After care services will not be available.
- SCA will be closed on Friday, Sept. 6. All games and after school activities are canceled.
- Nansemond-Suffolk Academy’s Extended Care will not operate Thursday afternoon.
- NSA will be closed on Friday, Sept. 6, and all after-school activities have been canceled. All NSA after-school activities, meetings and games scheduled for Thursday afternoon are canceled, according to Karen Schompert, director of communications and public relations.
- Suffolk Public Works and TFC Recycling have canceled refuse collections for Friday. Residents are advised not to place their refuse containers curbside Thursday evening or Friday morning to avoid potential damage with blowing containers and debris. Service that was scheduled for Friday will instead be picked up on Saturday.
- After school care and programs at Suffolk Parks and Recreation joint use facilities are canceled for Thursday.
- Suffolk city offices will be closed on Friday, as will be all city facilities typically open after hours Thursday evening.
- Tours and scheduled special events for Friday have been canceled.
- The Suffolk Sheriff’s Office has canceled its “Be the Key to Unlock Hunger” non-perishable food collection drive that was scheduled for Friday at Kroger, 1017 University Blvd.
- The Hampton Roads Morning of Hope walk that was scheduled for Saturday in Virginia Beach has been rescheduled to Sept. 28.
- The Rocky Hock Opry concert that was scheduled for Friday at King’s Fork Middle School has been rescheduled to Sept. 13.
- The opening reception for the “Art of the Functional” exhibit that was scheduled for Friday at the Suffolk Art Gallery has been postponed.
Visit www.suffolknewsherald.com for updates throughout the duration of Hurricane Dorian.
This list will be updated as information becomes available. To have your event added to the list email firstname.lastname@example.org.