Annual Juried Exhibition on display
Published 10:01 pm Tuesday, November 12, 2019
The Suffolk Art League’s Annual Juried Exhibition will be on display at the Suffolk Art Gallery, 118 Bosley Ave., through Dec. 6, 2019.
This year, 88 artists entered 238 works for jurying. Of those, 58 artworks were selected for the exhibition by juror, Jessica L. Sims, a Richmond-based artist and environmental organizer. Sims is a past president of artspace, one of Richmond’s longest running non-profit galleries with more than 15 years of experience in the gallery and non-profit field.
“The submissions for this exhibition pulled from an incredibly talented field of artists, whose works have unique and moving visions of their surrounding environment,” Sims stated. “Pieces selected for this exhibition touch on the places and people cherished by each artist, and the detailed care given to those depictions provides a fascinating window into what each artist experiences and visually interprets.”
Email newsletter signup
“I looked for works that contained an unexpected use of materials, surprising gestures, forms, and interpretations of the natural world and that provided an emotive reaction,” said Sims.
In addition to selecting the work for the exhibition, Jessica Sims selected 14 award winners.
The winners are:
- First Place: Sandra Alderman, “In Forest Deep,” Encaustic
- Second Place: Eloise Shelton-Mayo, “Haunted XX,” Mixed Media
- Third Place: Mick Grochowski, “In This Boat,” Acrylic on Panel
- Jane Butler Memorial Award: John Knapp, “Deep in Thought,” Pencil & Acrylic
- Miriam & Everett Birdsong Award: Nancy M. Stutts, “Poet’s Way,” Oil & Cold Wax
- Award in Honor of Dana Adams: Erlene Hendrix, “Wish I Were a Bird and I Could Fly,” Photographic Composite
- Judy Oswald Memorial Award: Devon Lawrence, “Rick,” Watercolor
- Rountree Award for 3-D: Akiko Tanaka, “Wandering Flower No. 6,” Ceramic, Wire & Glass
- Betty Glasscock Memorial Award: Nancy Zittrain, “Riverview,” Oil
- Sharon Picot & Chip Picot Memorial Award: Cynthia Baker, “Kitchen Still Life, Riddick’s Folly House Museum,” Oil
- Momma Jo and Poppa Jo Memorial Awards: Bernard Conda, “Blood Moon,” Oil on Canvas
- Suffolk News-Herald Award: Arthur Wycoff, “ Interrupted Journey,” Photography
- Richardson Award: Robert Boyette, “Bygone,” Digital Photography
- Embroidery Etc. Award, Debbie Hill, “Blue Moon,” Textile
The Suffolk Art League would like to thank the award donors: Butler Paper Recycling, Miriam & Everett Birdsong, Mr. & Mrs. James Adams, The Oswald Estate, Ray & Martha Rountree, The Glasscock Family, Mr. Julian Picot, Carol Johanningsmeier, Suffolk News-Herald, Nathan Richardson and Embroidery, Etc. The continued support of the Suffolk Fine Arts Commission, the Business Consortium for the Arts, Virginia Commission for the Arts and the National Endowment for the Arts was also recognized.
The Suffolk Art League is a nonprofit, community-based fine arts organization dedicated to making the arts accessible and providing education in the arts. For more information about this and other programs offered by the Art League, visit www.suffolkartleague.com or call 925-0448.