New Year’s closures announced
Published 9:33 pm Monday, December 30, 2019
In observance of the New Year’s holiday, Suffolk City offices will be closed Wednesday and will reopen for normal operations at 8:30 a.m. Thursday. The following offices, facilities and services will observe the following schedule:
- For the period of Jan. 1-4, trash and recycling collection will run on a one-day delay, with Wednesday’s route on Thursday, Thursday’s route on Friday, and Friday’s route on Saturday. Businesses located in the Downtown Business Overlay District will remain on a regular schedule and will have their collection days run on Tuesday and Friday. The Suffolk Public Works Department reminds you that trash must be placed at curbside no later than 7 a.m. on the day of collection. For more information on refuse collection, please call Public Works at 514-7630.
- Through Jan. 7, the Suffolk Department of Public Works Refuse Division will collect all Christmas trees and boxes as a special collection. During this time, Christmas trees and boxes will not be counted towards the 12 free special collections. Any Christmas trees put out for collection after Jan. 7 will be picked up but will count as a special collection. The trees and boxes will need to be placed at the curb the same day as the residence’s regular collection. The trees do not have to be secured and the boxes do not have to be collapsed.
- The Southeastern Public Service Authority Transfer Station in Suffolk and the Regional Landfill will be closed on Wednesday.
- All Suffolk Joint Use Recreation Centers — Mack Benn Jr., Booker T. Washington, King’s Fork, Creekside, Northern Shores and Oakland — will be closed through Jan. 6 with the exception of youth basketball, soccer and cheer practices.
- The East Suffolk Recreation Center and Whaleyville Recreation Center will be closed Wednesday.
- Suffolk’s four major parks — Lone Star Lakes, Constant’s Wharf, Sleepy Hole and Bennett’s Creek — will remain open to the public during the holiday; however, no park attendant will be on duty.
- The Suffolk Art Gallery will be closed Wednesday.
- Suffolk Transit will not operate on Wednesday.
- All Suffolk City Libraries — Morgan Memorial, North Suffolk, Chuckatuck — will be closed Wednesday.
- The Suffolk Tourism Visitor Center and the Suffolk Seaboard Station Railroad Museum will be closed Wednesday.
- The Suffolk Executive Airport terminal will be closed Wednesday. The airfield and self-service fuel island will remain open during this time. The restaurant will be closed Wednesday.