Holiday closures announced
Published 9:16 pm Wednesday, January 15, 2020
In observance of Lee-Jackson Day and Martin Luther King Jr. Day, Suffolk city offices will be closed this Friday and Monday. Normal operations will resume at 8:30 a.m. Tuesday. The city observes all state-designated holidays. Lee-Jackson Day and Martin Luther King Jr. Day are considered holidays for the Commonwealth of Virginia, and all state offices are closed on these days.
- There will be no changes to the trash and recycling collection schedules. The Suffolk Public Works Department reminds you that trash must be placed at curbside no later than 7 a.m. on the day of collection. For more information on refuse collection, call Public Works at 514-7630.
- The Southeastern Public Service Authority Transfer Station and Regional Landfill in Suffolk will be open from 8 a.m. to noon on both Friday and Monday.
- Suffolk Joint Use Recreation Centers — Mack Benn Jr., Booker T. Washington, King’s Fork, Creekside, Northern Shores and Oakland — will close at 6 p.m. Friday following the closing of the afterschool programs. After 6 p.m., these centers will only be open for youth league athletic games. On Monday, these centers will be open for youth league athletic practices only.
- The East Suffolk Recreation Center and Whaleyville Recreation Center will be closed Friday and Monday and will reopen Tuesday for normal business hours. Both the East Suffolk Recreation Center and Whaleyville Recreation Center will be open Saturday for normal business hours.
- Suffolk’s four major parks — Lone Star Lakes, Constant’s Wharf, Sleepy Hole and Bennett’s Creek — will remain open Friday and Monday; however, no park attendant will be on duty.
- The Suffolk Art Gallery will be closed on Friday and Monday. It will be open on Saturday and Sunday for normal business hours.
- Suffolk Transit will operate on a normal schedule on Friday and Monday.
- All Suffolk City Libraries — Morgan Memorial, North Suffolk and Chuckatuck — will be closed Friday through Monday.
- The Suffolk Tourism Visitor Center will be open from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. on both Friday and Monday. The Suffolk Seaboard Station Railroad Museum will be open from 10 a.m. to 5 p.m. both Friday and Monday.
- The Suffolk Executive Airport terminal will be open but unmanned on Friday and Monday. The airfield, self-service fuel island and restaurant will remain open on Friday and Monday.