Prayers and precautions for COVID-19
By Chris Quilpa
I pray for peace and good health of mind, body and soul, as we continue to have faith and trust in the goodness and love of Almighty God.
In times like these, when we are confronted with uncertainty in politics and economy, relationship and world health and personal safety — especially with the looming threat and crisis globally brought about by COVID-19, the coronavirus disease outbreak that’s spreading and has caused thousands of deaths worldwide — our world needs prayer, cure and healing. It also needs all-out support and active involvement and participation by all, especially our local, national, and world leaders, to help prevent this phenomenon or disease from further spreading or becoming pandemic.
With our prayer and basic protective measures and precautions, we can help prevent the spread of this disease. The World Health Organization has this advice for the public:
Stay aware of the latest news and information about COVID-19, and take care of your health and protect others by doing the following:
- Wash your hands frequently with soap and water or with an alcohol-based hand rub or wipes, when available.
- Maintain social distancing at least three feet, especially when someone is coughing or sneezing.
- Practice respiratory hygiene by covering your nose and mouth when coughing or sneezing with tissue or flexed elbow.
- Avoid touching your eyes, nose and mouth.
- If you have fever, cough and difficulty breathing, seek medical care early — and stay home if you’re sick.
- Stay informed and follow the advice of your healthcare provider.
It is imperative to avoid close contact with anyone with cold or flu-like symptoms. Likewise, practice food safety, like cooking meat and eggs thoroughly. Avoid unprotected contact with live animals, too. If you’re sick and outside or visiting your doctor, you may wear a mask to help reduce the spread of infection.
This Lenten season, our penance, prayers and precautions can make a difference in our world.
Chris A. Quilpa, a retired U.S. Navy veteran, lives in Suffolk. Email him at email@example.com.