City announces cancellations of events and programs
The city of Suffolk has announced a raft of cancellations and postponements of events in response to coronavirus concerns.
“Consistent with best practices and recommendations from national, state and local health officials regarding large public gatherings and the potential of community spread of the coronavirus disease and out of an abundance of caution, the City of Suffolk advises of the following cancellations or postponements of upcoming special events and activities,” the press release stated on Thursday afternoon.
- Suffolk Parks & Recreation Youth Indoor Soccer Tournaments, March 14 at Mack Benn Jr. Recreation Center and March 21 at King’s Fork High School are canceled. Champions will be awarded through regular season records and trophies distributed accordingly at a later date.
- Suffolk Parks & Recreation Youth Basketball League Tournaments, March 14 at Oakland Recreation Center, is canceled. Champions will be awarded through regular season records and trophies distributed accordingly at a later date.
- Suffolk Parks & Recreation Volunteer Youth Sports Coaches Banquet scheduled for March 19 is postponed until further notice.
- IconiCon, scheduled for March 28 at North Suffolk Public Library, is postponed. The event will be rescheduled and additional information will follow at a later date.
- Suffolk Parks & Recreation Eggstravaganza, scheduled for April 4 at Bennett’s Creek Park, is canceled. This seasonal event will not be rescheduled.
- Senior programs at the East Suffolk Recreation Center and Whaleyville Recreation Center are canceled effective March 16 until further notice in order to protect those most vulnerable and at-risk (elderly and potentially medically compromised). The recreation centers themselves will remain open.
“As we are all aware, COVID-19 is a rapidly evolving health concern and potential issues are being reviewed and determinations made daily,” the press release stated.
Citizens are reminded of the simple things you can do to help keep yourself and others healthy, including: Wash your hands often with soap and water for at least 20 seconds, especially after blowing your nose, coughing, or sneezing; going to the bathroom; and before eating or preparing food. Avoid touching your eyes, nose, and mouth with unwashed hands. Stay home when you are sick. Cover your cough or sneeze with a tissue, then throw the tissue in the trash.