Sheriff’s scholarship returns
Published 5:02 pm Tuesday, January 26, 2021
Sheriff E.C. Harris and the Suffolk Sheriff’s Office staff recently announced the Virginia Sheriff’s Institute Scholarship will be available for online application on Jan. 31.
The Virginia Sheriff’s Institute Scholarship focuses on providing opportunities for upstanding students in Virginia who are majoring in criminal justice by providing scholarships. Its purpose is to aid in the furthering of education of full and part-time students majoring in criminal justice or law enforcement in Virginia. Two types of scholarships are available to serve both full and part-time students.
“In order for the criminal justice system to grow and evolve, our future officers, agents and analysts should have every chance they can to further their education,” said Sheriff E.C. Harris. “This scholarship will help aid students in their educational goals and dreams.”
Email newsletter signup
There is a strict application deadline on May 1. Students must have all information needed and a completed application submitted by this date to be considered for the scholarship.
There are specific requirements that must be met in order to be eligible for this scholarship. Some of the specifications include:
- The student must receive a letter of recommendation from the current sheriff of the designated city or county.
- The student must be a permanent resident in designated city or county where Sheriff is part of the Virginia Sheriffs’ Institute.
- Must be a criminal justice major. Pre-law or law does not qualify.
- Must be enrolled in a Virginia college or university.
- Must be attending school during the 2020-21 school year.
- Those 18 and older must provide a copy of their voter registration card. Those under 18 must provide a picture ID and proof of residency.
- Applications must be completed and signed online.
For more detailed information about the application process, visit the Virginia Sheriff’s Institute’s website at vasheriffsinstitute.org.