Fire cause determined

Published 9:12 pm Wednesday, April 28, 2021

Getting your Trinity Audio player ready...

The Suffolk Fire Marshal’s Office has pinpointed the cause of a fire at a downtown apartment complex on Tuesday.

The fire at Wilson Pines Apartments began in a trashcan due to carelessly discarded smoking materials, according to a city press release.

The fire was reported at 5:09 p.m., and the first unit arrived on scene in the 2500 block of East Washington Street at 5:15 p.m.

Email newsletter signup

First arriving fire units found light smoke showing from the second floor apartment, the press release stated. No residents were home at the time of the incident.

The fire was quickly knocked down and was confined to the kitchen. The fire was called under control at 5:28 p.m.

The two occupants were offered assistance from the American Red Cross. There were no injuries.

Responding units included Battalions 4 and 5; Engines 1, 3, 9, and 10; Ladders 3, 5, and 6; Medic 3, EMS-1, and Training 1. The Carrollton Volunteer Fire Department provided mutual aid to backfill Fire Station 9.