Two firefighters overcome by heat in Jonathans Way blaze

Published 3:21 pm Friday, July 16, 2021

Getting your Trinity Audio player ready...

Two firefighters were overcome by heat while battling a fire in the 200 block of Jonathans Way on Friday afternoon.

The fire was reported at 12:55 p.m. by a neighbor who saw smoke outside the residence, according to a city press release.

Firefighters arrived on scene to find that the two-story home had no occupants or pets inside. They determined the fire started on the exterior side of the home and then entered the attic space through the knee wall.

Email newsletter signup

A second alarm was called when two firefighters were overcome by heat and physically assisted out of the residence. They were assessed and treated by their colleagues, and one was taken to a local hospital for further observation.

Due to today’s extreme heat conditions and the approximately 50 pounds of protective gear and equipment utilized by each firefighter, they were rotating in 10-minute shifts during the incident, and the Rehab Bus was also brought to the scene.

The fire was called under control at 2:08 p.m. Two adults have been displaced and are receiving assistance.

The cause of the fire was determined to be carelessly discarded smoking materials.

Due to the proximity of neighboring homes, responding units included Engines 1, 2, 3, 4, 6, and 7; Ladders 3 and 6; Rescue 1, Safety 1, Medics 1, 6, and 9; the Rehab Bus, Battalions 1, 2, 3, and 5; and Cars 1, 3, and 4.

Mutual aid was provided by the Chesapeake Fire Department, Smithfield Fire Department, and the Carrsville Fire Department in back-filling stations and providing equipment.

Suffolk Police are also on scene, and the roadway in the immediate area is expected to be closed for an extensive period of time as responding emergency apparatus leave the scene.