Five displaced due to cooking fire
Five people were displaced as a result of a cooking fire on Thursday afternoon.
Suffolk Fire & Rescue responded to the scene in the 100 block of Bute Street. Emergency Communications was contacted at 2:23 p.m., according to a city press release.
The first unit arrived on the scene at 2:27 p.m. and found a single-story residence with smoke showing from the front door. The fire was contained to the kitchen with extension to the walls in the kitchen. The fire was marked under control at 2:56 p.m. The residents of the home had evacuated prior to the arrival of firefighters.
No injuries were reported. The five residents, including three adults and two children, will be displaced as a result of the fire.
Responding units included EMS 1, Medic 1, Rescue 1, Battalion 1, Engine 1, Engine 4, Ladder 3, Engine 5, Rescue 6, Safety 1, Fire Marshal 7, and Suffolk Police.
The preliminary investigation determined the incident was a cooking fire.
A city resident has filed a lawsuit alleging the Suffolk School Board, chairwoman Dr. Judith Brooks-Buck and Superintendent Dr. John... read more