No answers at community meeting
Published 5:10 pm Tuesday, November 2, 2021
To the editor:
Thanks to the Holland Ruritan Club, the community of Holland held a town meeting on Tuesday, Oct. 26, at the Holland Community House. The meeting was well attended by the citizens of Holland and surrounding rural families. Their hope was to ask questions and get some answers about their concerns for our town.
The city of Suffolk had six or seven representatives on hand to give a Power Point presentation, but they were not prepared to take questions from the attendees. When questions were voiced, the answer was, “I’ll have to look into that” or “I don’t know.”
Some of our many concerns include:
- The many wrecks occurring on Route 58 just outside of town.
- The approval of a solar farm to be installed at the entrance to Holland.
- Broadband service, which is desperately needed.
- The city restrictions placed on businesses wanting to operate in Holland.
- The condition of a growing number of properties within the town.
- The corrosiveness of the water, which is ruining home appliances.
We appreciate these representatives taking their evening to come and meet with us, but we expected some answers to our questions and problems and there were none to be given. What a disappointment!