Impending snow causes closures for Friday
Published 4:56 pm Thursday, January 20, 2022
The impending snowstorm has resulted in several closures for Friday.
- Suffolk Public Schools announced Thursday evening it will be closed on Friday. This will be a traditional inclement weather day, school officials said, and students and staff will not be expected to participate in virtual instruction. All extracurricular activities will be canceled for Friday and throughout the weekend, except for SPS Saturday Academy, which will remain virtual.
- Nansemond-Suffolk Academy will also be closed Friday. “As always, the safety of our families and our faculty and staff is our main priority,” the school’s website stated. “All after-school activities, practices and games have been canceled for Friday. We hope that our students will be able to enjoy the first snow day this season with their families, so virtual learning will not be required tomorrow.” The school will continue to monitor the weather and will make a decision regarding Saturday’s JJV basketball games on Friday. Families will be notified of any additional changes to the school schedule through the BrightArrow alert system, the school website, local television news stations and on social media.
- City of Suffolk facilities will close at noon Friday, due to the potential impact of winter weather.
- Trash and recycling collections will run as normally scheduled on Friday.
- Suffolk Transit will also operate on a regular schedule on Friday. Suffolk Transit operations for Saturday will be determined by the safety of roadway conditions and will be announced as soon as practicable.
- The Mills E. Godwin Courts Building will be closed Friday.
- Public Works crews started 24-hour staffing with 12-hour shifts on Thursday morning, which will run through the duration of this weather event. Staff encourage motorists to avoid driving as much as possible and limit travel to necessary trips. To report roadway issues, citizens can contact Public Works at 757-514-7600.
- For afterhours requests for emergency Public Utilities services, such as broken water pipes, call 757-514-7000.