Works of artistic excellence from city students
Published 7:22 pm Friday, February 4, 2022
To peruse the Suffolk Art Gallery’s Exhibit of Excellence from the hands and creative minds of the city’s high school students is to bear witness to their talent and vision on display.
The exhibit, which began Feb. 1 and is on display through Feb. 25, features 10th-, 11th- and 12th-grade students from King’s Fork, Lakeland and Nansemond River high schools, the Nansemond-Suffolk Academy upper school and the Governor’s School for the Arts. It is presented by the Suffolk Art League in cooperation with the Suffolk Fine Arts Commission.
Norfolk State University fine arts professor Solomon Isekeije, the show’s juror, selected 116 artworks for the exhibit. This year, 104 students entered 186 artworks to be juried.
Email newsletter signup
Due to COVID-19, rather than hold the normal in-person ceremony to kickoff the exhibit and honor award-winners, the Suffolk Art Gallery held a 10-minute virtual ceremony streamed on its YouTube and Facebook pages.
It awarded Marley McClusker of Nansemond River and the Governor’s School best in show honors for her mixed media works, “Gaia” and “Blossom.” Syd Osborne of King’s Fork and the Governor’s School earned first place for his screen prints, “Phobia Inception” and “Burning Touch.” Second place went to Emma Conrod of Nansemond-Suffolk Academy for her Ebony pencil and watercolor “Heart Ache,” while third place went to NSA student Matt Nichols for his clay and underglaze artwork, “The Smelly Snail.”
Honorable mention awards went to the following:
- Lily Taylor Bivins, “Could You Be Loved?” Mixed Media, NSA
- Shannon Connor, “Christo Magic” Charcoal, NSA
- Bianca Frenz, “Fear and Fire” Computer Art, NSA
- Matt Nichols, “Modern Mona” Mixed Media, NSA
- Alexandra Stenson, “Matriarch” Computer Art, NSA
Juror’s Choice awards went to:
- Krista Booker, “The Chase” Paper Collage, NSA
- Senya James, “I ❤️ 80’s” Mixed Media, Nansemond River
- Sean O’Keeffe, “Berry Much So” Photography, NSA
- Jack Oliver, “Part of the Game” Photography, NSA
- Faith Page, “Red Clouds” & “Our Song” Acrylics, NSA
- Nicole Pendleton, “Desolate” Photography, NSA
- Marlin Price, “Be Smart, Don’t Smoke” Mixed Media, NSA
- Noelle Ryan, “Clear as Glass” Glass, Enamel Paint, NSA
- Cliff Thomas, “Stride” Photography, NSA
To be eligible, students must live in or attend school in Suffolk and be in grades 10 through 12. The Suffolk Art Gallery is open from 10 a.m. to 5 p.m. Tuesday through Saturday and from 1 to 5 p.m. Sunday. The gallery is free and open to the public.