Published 6:14 pm Tuesday, June 7, 2022
The Suffolk News-Herald conducted email interviews with the four Republican candidates seeking the 2nd Congressional District seat in the U.S. House of Representatives. Early voting is underway for the June 21 election. The GOP nominee will face incumbent U.S. Rep. Elaine Luria in November.
Name: Jarome Bell
Email newsletter signup
Place of birth: Cleveland, Ohio
Occupation: Retired Navy
Number of years living in District 2: 20
Faith affiliation: Baptist
Current or prior elected offices held: N/A
- Can you briefly summarize why you decided to run for the Republican nomination in the 2nd District Congressional race?
I’m an America-First, Conservative Republican and having dedicated my life to a career in the Navy, retired as Chief Petty Officer after 27 years, I’m turning my attention to once again serve this great nation by working to continue to carry the Donald J Trump torch to Make America Great Again in the United States House of Representatives.
I’m running for Congress to defend our republic against the foreign and domestic enemies to our Constitution, to which I swore an oath as a member of our Armed Forces — an oath that does not expire.
- Who is your political role model? Why?
Congressman Bob Good. His love of God and doing it the right way.
- As the country awaits the Supreme Court’s decision on whether to overturn Roe v. Wade, what federal legislation, if any, would you support to address abortion nationally?
I will always be an unapologetic voice for the voiceless and an advocate to end the extermination of our own people.
- What should be Congress’s top priority right now?
Stopping the marxist and communist from stealing this great country.
Stopping the invasion of our country and the nation security threat to our sovereignty
Protecting our constitutional rights and protecting our children form the indoctrination of these marxist ideologies being pushed on them at schools
- Is America doing enough to support Ukraine? What would you like to see done differently?
I do not agree with the policies toward Ukraine. We need to take care of America first. Americans are suffering and our country is being destroyed. Throwing billions of taxpayer dollars to the #3 corrupt nation in the world to try and prop up one dictator over another why enriching their oligarchs is bad policy.
- How should Congress address the inflation and supply chain shortages that have been affecting the nation and world over the past several months?
We need to bring all manufacturing back to the USA and return back to President Trump’s trade and energy policies immediately.
- According to CDC data, COVID-19 cases and hospitalizations are again on the rise, with Suffolk, Chesapeake and Virginia Beach having moved from “low” to “medium” transmission as of May 24. In light of this trend, what if any precautions should government take?
The government is the problem and their Biden’s reaction to covid has been a disaster and has assisted in the inflation crisis. The government needs to stay out of it and let nature take it’s course and never lock down the country again.
- What is your opinion of the House special committee investigating the events of Jan. 6, 2021 at the U.S. Capitol?
A travesty and a witch hunt against law abiding Americans who wanted to express their God given and constitutional rights. Political prisoners are being held illegally and need to be released. This commission is a political ruse. Jan 6, 2021 WAS NOT AN INSURRECTION!