Three displaced from home by Sunday kitchen fire

Published 10:18 am Monday, October 17, 2022

A Sunday evening kitchen fire has displace three adults living in 1200 Block of Blythewood Lane in downtown Suffolk,

The city’s emergency communications dispatched Suffolk Fire and Rescue for a reported residential structure fire at 6:33 p.m., Sunday, Sept. 16.

Ladder 3 arrived at 6:36 p.m. to find smoke showing from the front door of a single story detached residential home, according to a news release. All occupants were outside the structure when firefighters arrived.  

Newsletter

Email newsletter signup

Firefighters entered the front door and found the kitchen on fire. A search was performed and firefighters verified that everyone was out of the structure. 

Fire and rescue officials said the fire was contained to the kitchen area of the home, but the residence did suffer smoke damage. 

No civilian or firefighters were injured, according to the release.

The fire was placed under control at 6:50 p.m. 

The American Red Cross is assisting three adults who were displaced by the fire.    

The cause and origin of the fire was determined to be accidental related to cooking. 

Nine Suffolk Fire and Rescue units responded to the call.